PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US EMS Pilots Are Not Very Innovative
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2008, 15:26
Phil77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eddie,
I believe that most flights resulting in an accident have been launched while marginal/unstable weather already prevailed or was to be expected (by the use of the pilots interpretation skills of weather systems).
Only to pick the most recent in Maryland: all evening long the ceilings where low (marginal or at the limit for most operators as I learned in another thread here): BKN008. Agreed, with a big high pressure system overhead it may be reasonable to expect that the conditions will remain stable, but with a tropical system offshore, throwing clouds, rain and thunderstorms at you, it is a huge gamble compared to your nice, clean cold front coming at you at x kts.

I can only guess what led to the go/no go decision, but dare 'em if somebody told the pilot the nature of the emergency...

Scenario: "Multiple casualties of teenagers in a car pileup" - figure in the father of a teenage daughter being the pilot who has to make a go/no go decision!
Or put yourself in the shoes of a young father who has been told there is a newborn in a live threatening situation!

You see where I'm getting: PEER PRESSURE!

Maybe most EMS pilots can (or claim to) deal with the burden of too much information provided to them, but I can blame no pilot literally being forced to fly through the tactics of unnecessary information given to him; be it because of greed or carelessness.