PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Employment - threads merged - all you need to know
Old 1st Oct 2008, 15:25
grdproxinop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Info for EY joiners

Hi All

I read these posts and at times laugh at them and at others times shake my head in total agreement with them so I have now decided to write something about them giving my point of view.

FYI I am currently flying for EY and within the last 8 months have jumped through all the hoops required to get where I am today, take my advice however you like but this is what I have learnt or seen.

Firstly, no matter where you are coming from in the world be prepared for a shock, the exception maybe if you are coming from another middle east region.

EY is expanding rapidly and use this 'excuse' to explain a lot of their short fallings, from my point of viw I put it down to poor planning and poor communication. One thing you will learn here very quickly is how poor the communication is. Personally I think it is a combination of the wrong people for the job but mainly it is due to the cultural differences between the people working within the company. As you know EY is a relatively new airline and because of it's growth rate alot of pilots have been employed from all over the world, the problem with this is that everyone flew the same aircraft but for different airlines therefore everyone has there way of doing something. It maybe better or it maybe not but unless it is EY SOP's it ain't right, therefore a day at work can be at times frustrating to say the least. The communication problem is not just within Flt Ops either this is through out the entire airline.....

If you are coming to EY for an interview or to start, to ensure your life is a little easier please take note of the following :

For the Interview, know you will have to fly the sim raw data, ( NO AUTOPILOT, NO FLT DIRECTORS, NO AUTO THRUST ) WITH ONE ENGINE INOP FOR AN ILS APPROACH. This is a GCAA requirement. EY doesn't hate US pilots, I think SOME US pilots may have to realise that the world doesn't revolve around them that's all. I personally have nothing against them..........

Ensure you get an eye scan when you turn up for the first time, ( not the interview but when you start ). If your family are to follow ensure they do to regardless of where you are from.

Ensure you have your drivers licence and passport issued from the same country, if you don't it becomes a huge headache and a lot of wasting time and money to get a licence.

Be prepared to do alot of work for yourself, the company don't wrap you in cotton wool and hand everything to ya.

Personally I'm enjoying my time here, at the moment it's down to about 1 day in every 7 where I think what the f*&k have I done where as the month I arrived it was 6 out of 7. It will take you around 6 to 12 months to settle here from what I have heard and I so far would have to agree.

Best of luck to all and I hope to see you in the flt deck soon