PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2008, 15:23
philipat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killer Items Final Check SOP?

Sevenstrokeroll:

AND BLAME EVERY DUMB ASS CHIEF PILOT FOR NOT DEMANDING A "KILLER ITEM" CHECK  ON THE RUNWAY.
Reading back through this long thread, I believe that I was the first to raise this as a possible action. My suggestion, as a non-pilot, was based on logic having read the inputs from experienced pilots who did this anyway based simply on good airmanship considerations. My post was negatively responded to by experienced pilots and I, of course, accepted that. It now seems that these objections may have been as a result of "Institutionalised" responses that reflect the official view that this should not be necessary if line SOP's are followed. My original query was along the lines that if this is the case, then why do so many highly experienced pilots do this anyway? And why did PanAm and BOAC train this?

I know that technology improves and this may not apply to the latest Buses, but it still seems that there might be a need on older pre=ECAS types for a new SOP for a final check of the killer items whilst lining up OR alternatively a revision to the sequence of checks so that TO configuration is set FIRST before taxi (Except when de-iceing before TO)and then checked again LAST whilst lining up?

Again, as a non=pilot, I will stand corrected as necessary.