PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots blamed INITIALLY in 2006 British Airways crunching of lights at MIA
Old 1st Oct 2008, 14:46
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frankly, there is far too much unimportant information in these briefings, and I am also quite convinced from long personal experience that of what is in these Notams, 50% at any one time is either incorrect or expired. I used to look at the mass of information in the briefings in despair, wondering how I was going to wade through it.
Amen, brother Rainboe, amen. There is so much junk in 1930's teletype format, Notams in coded form, NDB's out of service for enroute airports, runway closures hidden in pounds of paper. Some folks seem to thrive on the complexity, I don't.

In some places in Asia and the Middle East, pilots still get somewhat of a real briefing with gotchas highlighted and planned taxi and departure routes printed out. In the U.S., you usually just get a pile of paper and a phone number for a dispatcher who may be a thousand miles away on the other side of a phone menu inspired by Dell Product Support. I rarely bother to make the call anymore, they are usually too busy working other flights to give much individual attention.

A few more crashes and perhaps someday more attention will be paid to the user interface on the paperwork.