PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots blamed INITIALLY in 2006 British Airways crunching of lights at MIA
Old 1st Oct 2008, 14:08
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The BA pilot briefing is computer generated, for a flight like MIA can be some 8 feet long or more. It tries to cut out the unnecessary stuff (do we need all these warnings about cranes? Just keep them out of the flightpath and I don't need to know!). Frankly, there is far too much unimportant information in these briefings, and I am also quite convinced from long personal experience that of what is in these Notams, 50% at any one time is either incorrect or expired. I used to look at the mass of information in the briefings in despair, wondering how I was going to wade through it.

Quite simply, for a major international terminal like MIA, all I want to know is displaced thresholds due WIP or radio aids out. I need know nothing else. If the lighting standard is some unique lash up, then the place should be closed and brought up to date, then opened. I do not need to know what taxiways are out- by the time the information has filtered through communications systems and airline briefing departments, the WIP is probably NIP anymore. the ground controllers will tell me what to do and where to go and how to get there. That is the way it should be, so how was confusion caused? This threshold area of 12 where it is near the EW runway was a real badly laid out corner. Something fooled an experienced crew. Instead of throwing mud, we need to see why it is such a lash-up.