PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying from and around Bournemouth
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2008, 11:19
Nibbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not had any communication from Vicky either by e-mail or letter but 2 wrongs don't make it right. If I begin to get angry about it then I'll speak to the Data Protection Registrar.

The question of the radio aids and radar services as a 'benefit' comes in to play when a VFR pilot needs to land and is in visual trouble, when one wishes to train for the IMC/IR or when an IMC/IR pilot wishes to practice and stay current and when a student wants to fly and the instructor needs to know he can get back and land where he started from. In these cases I'd suggest they were a benefit.

I have no idea what information sources or logic this instructor applied to come to this conclusion. The new terminal is not going to be ready for some time, it is not going to be at full operational capacity for some time after it opens and with the current financial situation? - My take on this is 'later rather than sooner'. It may also be significant that people who know far more than I do are investing huge sums into BFC. Would they do so if the future was as bleak as as been suggested?

Well of course 737junkie might be a troll.

The information I was sent does not say a membership fee is NOT payable. It is my mistake to assume there would be but I would have thought they would have made more of not charging one, unless a small membership fee is really not that big a factor?

What the letter tells me is that Old Sarum Flying School has a 2 year lease. Now I don't want to read anything into this.... or jump to any conclusions, look what happened when I did that with membership.

The rate for the PA28 solo is £100 per hour (the cheapest option) but does not include the fuel. The Archer is £140 which would push the price to close to or even over £200 per hour including fuel. What is more these are 'weekday only prices' and it does not say if this includes VAT or not. The PA28 at BFC is £107 per hour including VAT and Fuel. Do the math, but don't forget to add the £95 per year membership to your expected number of yearly hours!

On the plus side...

I like Old Sarum and have respect for the instructors, the airfield and airfield operator and would be there yesterday if there were any chance however the 'tar' of the old regime stuck to others, who carried no responsibility or blame for what happened.

The AT3 is very interesting cheap option given it's aerobatic ability and fuel burn.

And as no one has mentioned it, a big SHOUT OUT that they are having an open day with lots going on which is on the 11th and 12th of October. See you there!