PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 1st Oct 2008, 09:26
Hugh S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EdSett,

I appreciate that your post was written at midnight but if you re-read my comments you will see that I am not contradicting myself but stating a fact:

They are not completely happy with the safety of the aircraft but do not think that they are taking unacceptable risk by flying the Nimrod.
The safety case is being re-written but had not been re-written. The fact that there have been a number of fuel leaks due to technical or engineering failures and also a number hot air leaks for the same reason, coupled with a flawed original safety case leave me not completely happy.

I am, however, content that the aircraft is safe enough for me to continue flying. I have read all of the incident reports, the QQ reports and, of course, the BoI, and am fully aware of the background and potential implications of them all.

It is the fact that information has been hidden from those that need it that worries me most. I understand that there are a number of reasons why details need to be kept away from the public domain but the FoI Act removes those arguments. Keeping crews in the dark leads to mistrust.

I appreciate that hindsight is a lovely thing but please explain why I should have complete confidence in a system that approved the reinstatement of the SCP with the catastrophic results that followed.

If you are in a currently in a flying tour and are saying that you are completely happy with the safety of the aircraft then I am pleased for you. I am also currently on a Nimrod squadron and believe there is still work to be done, and I am certainly not alone.

Last edited by Hugh S; 1st Oct 2008 at 20:00. Reason: Added final paragraph