PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post IOT
Thread: Post IOT
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2001, 23:49
A Fat-Gopher

Big Pants-

There have been several recent cases of people who succeeded in changing post selection (including into Flt Ops, post IOT)

ATC tng is expensive and if you are not committed to it, then maybe it is not in the RAF's interest to push you into it. I know a couple who tried this arguament, failed, were sent for their Branch tng and withdrew from it to go Flt Ops. Eventually they got what they wanted and hopefully OASC have learned the lesson about pushing someone where they do not want to go. It is well worth calling them for an interview and trying (What's the worse that can happen - it's a no lose situation). If they say 'no' before IOT, try again after (if it is what you really want), if they say 'yes' you're laughing.

As to MilOps having a downer on Flt Ops, he is entitled to his opinion - but that doesn't make him right! It is easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize, but ultimately unrewarding. Undoubtedly the Branch is having a rough time at the moment, with some major teething problems. However, it is early days yet and none of the problems are insurmountable. A lot of the stations who said they would not touch Flt Ops with a bargepole at the beginning and prophecized the end of the world, are now very happy with the product. Times they are a changing. Ultimately, Flt Ops was a cost and aircrew saving measure and so development (or lack thereof) was driven hard by external factors. Folks are now starting to listen and there are a lot of good people, at all levels, working to improve things.

Ultimately, the RAF will have to make Flt Ops work, for financial reasons alone, and the DE's joining now could well be in for a very worthwhile career, with a lot more variety than ATC, for example. The list of Flt Ops jobs is ever increasing and although a lot of the current crop are less than inspiring, this is changing as the Branch gets established.

Whatever you do, good luck. Both ATC and Flt Ops offer good ops for the future and I for one am glad that I chose Flt Ops rather than Air Tragic! (I know others who feel the same)

Oh Gawd - edited for pire spoolong again. How did I ever get that 'C' ?

[This message has been edited by A Fat-Gopher (edited 25 May 2001).]