PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the hurry these days?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2008, 08:59
AlphaMale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the reason some will go integrated is due to the marketing on the FTO's behalf. And of course the rumour that the airlines prefer integrated to modular.

As for taking your time, well I have read some posts where integrated students are defending their corner by saying that chances are they may land an airline job before modular students, giving them over 500hr on type more than a modular student who started the same day (one enrols on integrated the other starts his/her PPL) So in theory they should be one year ahead on the pay scales too and should get to the LHS seat first too.

So you could spend £80k and get a job paying £30k pa in 2 years time, or pay £45k for your fATPL and then have to work as a flying instructor for maybe 2 years on £20k pa before getting a job with an airline paying £30k+

For me the later route is my preferred choice, I have a good job at the moment which will act like a backup plan should the airlines be on their knees again, and it gives me a chance to complete my fATPL training debt free. There would be nothing stopping me working as a FI/air taxi for £15k pa as I don't have a £1,000 a month loan bill coming from HSBC like the integrated students will.

Good luck - you're thinking along the right lines so far