PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying at Night
Thread: Flying at Night
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2008, 07:07
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helmet fire,

Firstly before anyone says it I know bugger all about landing on boats or rigs.

However I do know a bit about designing computerised things. Your suggestions seem very sensible to me, but in this day and age why should the pilots even by be worried about inputing lat longs and wind. A little bit of electronic communication between the vessel and the gubbins in the aircraft and you have sent to you the vessels GPS position and then fly your overwater approach with the GPS onboard calculating the wind for you [if you need it during the automatic phase of the approach]. Sounds easy to do, harder to achieve and certify in practice but surely something like this could save some hassles (perhaps even lives)

You could even couple up obstacle or terrain aware databases to help prevent you from running into known obstructions (of which I am told there are a few).

With regards to NVGs they'd make my life easier but how does a non exmil type like me get trained in the use (particularly in the UK ?). I am sure there may even be people using them now in the UK , who perhaps not with approval of the authority have made their own jobs a bit safer.

I get the impresson that most of this comes down to cost and its impact on profits.

Just my early morning Wednesday thoughts.

GS