PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - grumpy at aircraft when asked for boarding pass. why?
Old 1st Oct 2008, 05:17
christep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boardingpass
Thanks for your pearl of wisdom Fyrefli! For the rest of cabin crew reading this, let's just smile at the very clever SLF when we next ask "May I see your boarding class please?"
I think that's probably the best course because you clearly don't have any understanding whatsoever of why you are doing it. I'm sure you are concerned about security, but you have clearly demonstrated that you don't have the intelligence to be more than a pawn in the process.

A stowaway hitching a free ride is not in itself a security issue. It is a revenue protection issue, just the same as if I get on a bus without paying.

Checking that somebody has a boarding pass doesn't achieve anything for security. You aren't checking that they are someone who is not allowed to fly, you aren't even checking if they are the person who is named on the boarding pass. And you certainly aren't checking whether they have in their possession any means to disrupt the security of the flight.

The only purpose that is served by checking a boarding pass at the door is to be a last check that someone is not getting on the wrong plane. This is entirely a revenue protection issue. It has nothing to do with security.

I'm sure all passengers want maximum effort to be made to protect the security of the flight. (Although quite why planes should be singled out rather than all the other places that terrorists could kill hundreds of people very simply is another matter.)

Securing the cockpit door was by FAR the single most significant increase in security since 9/11, thus stopping the plane being taken over and used as a missile.

Once you have done that all you need to do is to try to stop people taking on board the means to destroy the plane mid-flight. Thus, the x-raying of luggage and the WTMD, which are useful security procedures.

The liquids ban, as currently implemented, is not a useful security procedure, as explained by Bruce Schneier, a professional security expert, here.