PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2008, 02:38
philipat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alitalia is the issue, not Italy

you seem a bit too attached to the western habit of being confrontational all the time.
Just to be clear, in none of my posts have I ever attacked Italy or Italian people. In fact I love Italy and the Italian lifestyle. I spend quite a lot of time in Umbria and many of my best friends here are Italian. They all, incidentally, avoid flying Alitalia (In favour of the Asian airlines which do actually understand that this is a SERVICE business) and complain about the situation more than I.
Also, as an earlier poster has noted, all democratic countries get the Government they deserve and SB was re-elected in full knowledge of what he is.
No, my issue is just with Alitalia itself. It's a waste of space and should be allowed to RIP. This is a fat lazy inefficient Company whose staff are still living in a bygone era. My view is simply that any fat lazy inefficient Company, airline or widget manufacturer wether it be Italian, German, British or whatever, should be subject to market forces and go out of business. Put a large dose of abuse of taxpayers and some corruption involving the "Elite" on top of that and you have what represents the central thesis of my issue.
Alitalia has no right to exist and it should be allowed to fold so the industry can get on with sorting itself out. Ultimately, Europe probably only needs 3 legacy carriers plus some using newer business models, low-cost etc.