PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 23:15
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
C-change, you state:

Dick, you need to spend some time in one of the centres. I think you would be surprised at how well you would actually be received and welcomed.
No, not surprised, as I’ve always known that most controllers consider that I have genuine beliefs in furthering aviation in this country, and that in most things we would see eye to eye.

It is interesting that when I sold my Citation VH-MGC, the new owner put on the flight plan each time it was filed “Aircraft no longer owned by Dick Smith.” No doubt he thought an aircraft owned by Dick Smith would get some type of harassment from the air traffic controllers. This has never been true. I have had excellent and fair service from Aussie controllers.

Regarding visiting the Centre, I would love to do it but I don’t think you quite understand how paranoid the Airservices management is about me. It looks as if they are really insecure in their positions. For example, on this site on 5 February 2008, I was invited by one of the controllers to sit at the console at Melbourne Centre. I jumped at the chance and he said he would arrange it. (See here). I was ready to fly to Tullamarine and spend half a day in the Centre.

What happened? He could never get it approved. I contacted the controller a number of times and management simply would not give an answer. I’m hardly likely to turn up at a Centre without it being pre-arranged – I know how that would be viewed by the management.

I once made an informal call to the controllers in a country town tower. I was welcomed like I have always been. The controllers were friendly and we discussed lots of issues – many we agreed about and some which we didn’t. Within days, a memo was sent around by Airservices – which obviously alluded to me – saying how people were not to visit towers without prior approval (or words to that effect).

Yes, I would love to visit a Centre, but I don’t want to unnecessarily get someone into trouble or affect their career.