PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 30th Sep 2008, 23:03
EdSett100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winco, Hugh S, I wrote:
The lack of support for me, here, is simply because the vast majority of my colleagues have no interest in pprune so they do not come here.
OK, granted, an unknown percentage of my colleagues visit the site. It could be most of them or it could be just a few. Who knows? The point I was trying to make is that there is clearly not a significant number of Nimrod people actively arguing against me, in writing, here. That is a fact. If people read this discussion and feel strongly against my opinion, they are welcome to get stuck in and join the debate. Other subjects on pprune (JPA, data security, etc) attract many serving critics, but its not happening here. So far, it appears to me that the majority of the foremost critics of current Nimrod safety are not currently associated with the aircraft. I therefore suggest that most of my colleagues are content that the aircraft is safe, but I do not have absolute proof, of course.

I simply responded to DV's assertion that I believe that I am right and that everyone else is wrong. I questioned his use of the word, "everyone".

Hugh S I am intrigued by your comment:
There are also a reasonable number, just like me, who have completed their own personal risk assessment of flying the Nimrod. They are not completely happy with the safety of the aircraft but do not think they they are taking unacceptable risk by flying the Nimrod.
Firstly, the Safety Case is currently being re-written, with aircrew representation (Staneval) right there in the mix with the engineers and safety analysts. Speak with the Staneval to get the info you and the others need to decide for yourself. Staneval has all the reports to hand together with the expertise to answer any queries you have. Your last sentence is self-contradictory. Either you are happy it is safe and you are not taking unacceptable risks or you are not happy it is safe and you are taking unacceptable risks. If its of any help to you, BAeS, IPT, FSW and Staneval all have a stake and a veto. None of them are saying its unsafe and using their veto. I suggest you trust their individual and collective judgement.

DV, et al, are asking good questions and testing the robustness of the judgement. I try to answer them with facts.

Finally, I am on a flying sqn and I am current.