PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying from and around Bournemouth
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 20:08
Nibbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bournemouth do have some longer delays, such as when the Red Arrows are visiting. Shorter delays are experienced more during the week than at the weekends, due to the nature of the commercial traffic in use. The good news is Students and Hirers are charged a flat fee of 0.2 for all taxy - unlike Old Sarum and others who charge chx off to chx on.

In fact just this very morning, as an ex student at Old Sarum, I received their new price list. How the new company managed to get my personal details I am not sure. Is someone is selling my personal information on or has it been obtained by some other means? I am quite concerned about this.

Anyway back to subject. Delays at Bournemouth are possible but not all that common. You are using class D airspace and have the facilities of a commercial airport, communicating with a full ATC service, ADF, NDB, ILS, Night flyng and the like. These facilities are simply not available at places like Old Sarum. However learning to land on grass and using short field techniques is a vital part of any pilot training, hence BFC's use of Old Sarum Airfield. BFC instructors are not using Old Sarum because it's too busy to do CCTS at Bournemouth because, as logic dictates, it would be impossible to send someone solo at Bournemouth it they hadn't trained in the Bournemouth CCT!

I have heard that bournemouth are thinking about stopping circuit training?
As people will know Bournemouth is being expanded with a new terminal building to cope with and encourage a projected increase in commercial aviation. Clearly it will become more difficult to operate out of Bournemouth when the full projected increase in traffic is realised. Even discounting the current economic situation this capacity use is not expected for some years. So the answer is 'not any time soon'.