PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help me with some nuances of the language
Old 30th Sep 2008, 20:05
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As aircrew (past tense) I recall being quite annoyed on a nice det once to see all the fighter crews on the sqn I was with wearing flying suits in the bar 6 hours after returning to the hotel. I was in blues, unlike some I used to wear blues when I did my ops supporty type stuff. So I can understand how the propensity to wearing growbags can offend.

It's a membership thing, it feeds an undernourished ego - sometimes.

On the other hand, after flying and before going home etc it can be nice to drop into places like the pigs' bar and have a good few pints. It can be a royal pain to have some weenie harangue you about flying suits in the mess etc at that time, one tends to think 'if it wasn't for the aircrew everyone else would still be in the Army.'

Aircrew - don't deliberately put a growbag on to go to the bar (especially a hotel bar on detachment) - growbags aren't a pull factor. After 4 hours in the bar it's time to go home, if only to change and get a taxi back. (Don't forget the box of Milk Tray, which automatically cancels any marital issues, such as the in-law anniversary you were meant to be going to).

Groundcrew - Don't be envious, why not invent a special working uniform of your own? After 90 years this 'he's wearing flying kit sir' complaint wears a bit thin.

Everyone - get name badges printed upside down, so you can read them yourself by glancing down - after all, you're the only b***er who wants to read it anyway!

Dave

(Conflict resolution counsellor 1st class and Ettiquette consultant,Hons).