PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finance for CTC
Thread: Finance for CTC
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 16:01
One9iner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some good info, advice, and different sides to the argument here guys. thanks..

My situation at the moment is slightly at a stand still. 25 years old, very low flying experience. Having always been keen on a career in the industry I was given some poor advice during my school life. During numerous discussions with career advisors, I kept being told "yes, although you have A's at GCSE Maths, Science and English - and for that matter all of my GCSE's other than 3 B's, you'd be far better chosing A'levels that you'll really enjoy, and then make career decisions once you have to decide on a degree choice."

So, off I went and decided to do A Levels' in Geology, Geography and Design & Engineering. When it came to career / degree choice I was again pushed by the school and the parents to concentrate on either engineering / architecture / business.

Wrong move! Went to university to do business, which I ended up really disliking. After flunking 2nd year and re-taking, I decided to leave half way through the re-take. Got a job, which developed slowly but surely into a better, and better job.

After realising that I should have done what "I" wanted to do after my school career, I'm now, and have been for some 3 years, been improving my personal situation to enable me to make the plunge into the industry.

Having seen my cousin go through cabair some years ago - who now sits in the RHS for a well known heathrow based transatlantic co. flying A340's I can see how hard work and a level head when it comes to finance makes the dream possible.

So, after leaving university, I got a job, and have been working my way up within the company ever since. Moved to London 2 years ago and after 6 months was in a position to buy an appartment with my sister to a) live in and not pay someone else my hard earned cash in the form of rent b) attempt to make money on the property, which obviously hasn't really worked out but on a fixed rate mortgage my pockets aren't being hurt, and it's now a case of keeping hold of the property long term to make a return c) give myself something to bargain with during potential discussions with the banks to lend me more money to fund training.

Now, over the past year we all know whats happenned to the economy, housing market, airline industry etc... This leaves me in the following position; earning half decent money which is paying the bills on a property which long term will pay a return, able to pay for the odd flying hour here and there, and I haven't committed myself in the form of more debt to enter an integrated programme just at the wrong econimic time. Now unfortunately my income vs outgoings on mortgage etc.. means I can't afford to start the modular route right now but I am in a position to pick the right moment to enter into an integrated or modular programme - it's just when !!

Some guys here are saying do it now as there will be a shortage of "newbies" in 24 months due to the lack of loans going around, some are saying begin a modular approach if you can afford to, but do not plunge into a debt riddled integrated system for atleast 1 year from now...

I think I'll keep a close eye on the market, keep picking up as much advice as possible from pprune, my cousin, cabair, CTC, Oxford, etc... and pick my moment to take the dive with as little risk as possible... thats the big word ! RISK .

Hopefully we'll all get what we want, and meet in Hong Kong for a beer some day.. just not in the next 24 months.