PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry into CASA.
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 13:10
Justin Grogan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part 135?

So,

I may be showing my age here but I do remember the old "Flaming Liar" (Aiming Higher to the young folk). The bloke sitting next to Dick (Grant Mazowita) has since returned to CASA circa 2005/6 responsible for that being argued (?)

From his first representation since being back:

Reclassification of Operations project Update
4.5.1 Grant Mazowita opened the presentation by advising that since the Discussion Paper presented at the May SCC meeting there had been further refinements to the policy.

Grant advised that a Draft policy notice was approved in principle by the CEO in October 2006, subject to further discussions with the aviation community. The paper has been posted on the SCC discussion forum and also provided to members of the Operational Sub-committee. Grant advised that the policy has been revised into three categories, and separates passengers and freight.

Grant advised that while this is not consistent with ICAO classifications, the intention is to separate passengers from freight at the policy level but to bring large freight back together with passengers in the regulations, under Part 121.

Part 91 was discussed and also the type of occupant and their knowledge level of risk will dictate what regulatory policy is applied. A question was asked why CASA was placing the freight only operations into the lower category. Grant responded that ‘passengers are more important than packages’ and that CASA wanted to recognise this at the policy level.

4.5.2 Grant advised that as well as SCC members and the Operational Sub-committee the ASF has also been briefed and a copy of the draft CEO policy notice provided to the Department of Transport & Regional Services (DOTARS). Grant advised that CASA will meet with DOTARS and the ATSB, further refine the Policy Notice (as required), then promulgate and implement. Concern was raised regarding having Aerial ambulance classified as passenger transport. However, Grant advised that these operations would still fall under Part 136. The cut-off by weight for 121/135 aircraft was also questioned.
Source: http://www.casa.gov.au/newrules/scc/...C25_record.pdf

From his latest representation 19 March 2008:

5. Classification of activities

5.1 Grant Mazowita opened this item by advising that it stemmed from an action item from the last SCC meeting, raised by Phil Hurst.

Grant indicated that three (3) short presentations would be given. These had a common theme that ‘one size does not fit all’. Grant asked that all questions and discussion be held to the end of the presentations.
Source:

My underlining and bolding.

The names in the SCC crowd look familiar. Is it a case of suffering fools gladly or is lunch at the Canberra RSL that good??