PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which will make the best JSF?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2001, 23:20
John Farley

Thumbs up

ChristopherRobin

Thanks for pointing that out. Bit too much short hand on my part. I should have said something like “can’t vector/use all it’s installed thrust so effectively in combat”

In other words like the VIFF (vectoring in forward flight) that the USMC invented with the Harrier. In the right hands VIFFing has really made a difference in ACM training. I don’t believe it has ever been used in actual combat. Although the threat of its use (in the Falklands for example) may, I repeat only may, have made some Argentinian pilots less inclined to mix it. Sensible fighter pilots usually avoid doing manoeuvres that would play to any specific strengths that their enemies are known to possess. (eg a Lightning would never mix it slow and tight with a Hunter, but would only carry out high speed slashing passes)

The version of the common engine used in the Lockheed aircraft clearly has some limited “turboprop like” running characteristics when it is powering the fan.
(ie higher power extraction from the turbines than is necessary to just turn the LP and HP compressors) Whether the necessary provision of that capability in any way effects the up and away reheated turbo fan type engine (even when the clutch is disconnected) compared to the engine used in the Boeing aeroplane I am not privy to. And if I was I guess I would not be able to tell you, at least not without killing you afterwards.

JF