PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for an A Level Student
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 12:58
richw626

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for an A Level Student

Hi all.

I am an A Level student currently studying Physics, Maths and Geography and my ambition is to be a commercial airline pilot. At present, I am being pressured no end into what my route will be once I leave school. I have obviously been researching my various options and I am still stumped as to what to do.

I am aware of both modular and integrated routes and the advantages and disadvantages with each. After a lot of thought I am not planning to go to university as I see it as a lot of time and money for something I feel will not give me much of an advantage in the field.

My current thinking is that I will finish my A Levels and go into employment with an airline in my local area. As I live in Cornwall, FlyBe's base at Exeter is a very achievable location to look for a job, and with two work experience placements with them, I am already aware of how the airline works. I would initially be living at home and put all available money earnt from the job into modular training.
I am a glider pilot, and for those in the know, am a Grade 1 pilot. I also have won a 15 hour PPL scholarship from the Glen Stewart Flying Scholarship. I only have 1 hour of real PPL training under my belt, and have another 4 personally paid for with enough money in reserve for another 2.

I am really looking for anyones advice on where I can go from here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rich