PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dissertation advice required!
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 12:55
Pitch&Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the best threads I've seen on PPRuNE in a long time. Prof's guidance is certainly helpful.

The idea of considering the "Erosion of the Captains Authority" is a very applicable one, and doesn't, in my opinion, relate strictly to the automation argument, but rather one of modern airline leadership structures / corporate culture.

Modern society has moved steadily down the slippery slope of compromise, and it may be argued that parental authority, teacher authority, and various other previously well defined authority gradients have been flattened out to the point where many believe they are bordering on ineffective (practically). The argument, on the other hand, may well end up indicating that such authority erosion (or change)is a good thing in a modern society. That's the question really.

Flight Safety statistics show a greatly improved situation, which may in part at least, be accounted to CRM, and other Command style "adjusters"

The concept of the Captain's authority having been eroded within the airline structure itself is the most interesting to me, and I feel that it is well worth researching.

Imagine eroding the doctor's authority in a hospital! Same, same if you ask me...

Good hunting!

Last edited by Pitch&Fan; 30th Sep 2008 at 14:53.