PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 10:49
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick,
It is obvious that you support the present system no matter what anyone else says.

RE FS using radar- do you really think I was serious?
I think I have stated repeatedly that what you want can be done. But it will cost. You, who claim repeatedly to want to put resources to risk, seem to not want to know how much resourcing this will require and how much mitigation you will get. A curious position. As usual. And what's wrong with flight service using radar? Thats effectively what happens now with ATC trying to do FS on top of (or under) ATC. FS with radar would've been awesome. I have seen ATCs using radar to do FS save lives on 2 occasions, but thats a whole other thread. If someone decided to actually put the money that aviation generates back into it, we could have (should have?) the old-style FS, enhanced with radar. All it will take is a realisation that FS is necessary, and ATC is too overloaded to do it anymore. Thats the sort of change, Dick, that if you drove it would be embraced whole-heartedly by industry. Stuff that would REALLY help GA (and the industry as a whole).

LHRT, if you wonder why everything Dick says isn't embraced with gusto, re-read the above paragraph. A perfect example of why Dick should be assigned his due position when he opens his mouth, and why a very sceptical eye cast over whatever he says. It quite possibly is a reversal of a previously strongly held position of his, or actually pushing a totally different agenda.
Unfortunately not all IFR aircraft has E/GPWS.
Perhaps, if you looked at how much giving this role to ATC will cost, you might find you could install E/GPWS (or a suitable alternative) in every relevent aircraft. God forbid any rational dissention stand in Dick's way, though. Who looks like they have a closed mind now?