PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JSF and A400M at risk?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 10:35
Postman Plod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the bin F35, then I'd guess the carriers are called into question. Binning the carriers will save a bag full of money (and I personally tend to agree with Jacko that perhaps we should just get out of the Carrier game as the money is needed elsewhere - helicopters, transport, armoured vehicles, maybe more T45 and the rest of the Navy, etc etc.) however I can't see that happening frankly - too many jobs in important constituencies are at stake.

So lets say hypothetically that we do bin Dave, but still get the carriers. What should we put on them if not a navalised Typhoon (and I'm not for that or against it, but suspect its not as simple as some are suggesting)? Rafale, F18E/F, AN Other? How much less would we be paying for an existing aircraft, how effective are they (particularly Rafale?) and how much more may we end up spending on conventional carrier ops? Would it even be cost effective?

EDIT: Additionally, is there any particular driver for theUSMC buying Dave B over any other version? What will they be operating the aircraft from, and would they not be as well to operate from conventional carrier aircrft from conventional carriers for commonality and interoperability with the USN as they once did?
(Edit cos I got my B and C versions the wrong way round, doh!)

Last edited by Postman Plod; 30th Sep 2008 at 16:44.