PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apnea, early starts blamed in Hawaii pilots' nap
Old 30th Sep 2008, 09:44
A11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A humble SLF/PPL here but a very freq. long-haul traveller.

Travelling LH pretty much every week I sympathise with you guys totally.
I have most of my weekends wrecked for trying to re-adjust my rythms and sure as hell wouldn't be doing anything too demanding then.

But at least we got our weekends and we even get to sleep legitimately on the flights too.
I, and I'm certain every single flyer, would be willing to pay the extra bit to make sure people are allowed to perform their work in the responsible manner that they would want. Rather than being dragged around in a semi-defunct state and ordered to work.

OK, so the trouble is that the companies would never advocate for something like this (turkeys, voting for Xmas). But why can't authorities see the point and after all; a blanket imposition wouldn't distort competition and surely in light of all the other costs pilots' rest will be marginal enough NOT to affect the industry as a whole.

And as for the posters who are against 'power naps', using them regularly at work helps to keep me going much better. I'd rather 1 officer was out of service for a short period (not much longer than what some business travellers spend in their toilet visits) and to return in shape for a good 2-3hrs than have a person struggling with fatigue desperately trying to keep their eyelids open.

Sorry for the long ramble