PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 05:42
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick,
Thats interesting Dick, re-the ratio of IFR to controllers. I would be interested in seeing the figures. Also I will attempt to track down the figures for aircraft movements against controller numbers.

Dick, I do not have a closed mind, I have in fact said it could be done. I just don't believe it is as simple as you make out. I have asked you your exposure to the operation of our TAAATS system, its alarms, and the geographical area sectors cover. Still waiting for your answer.

If this trial is found to show that the alarms go off a great part of the time with many false alarms, then what? I am happy to trial this, I have said so previously, just give us the resources to do it. Have you actually read any of my posts with an open mind?

LHRT and Dick, you are assuming that every aircraft reports visual on time,that they all advise ATC when OCTA that they are amending their tracking to position for approach, that they all maintain a listening watch on ATC when calling on the CTAF frequency, and that they will not ignore ATC whilst doing something far more important (Aviating and Navigating).

Dick, you may be the perfect pilot, who never misses a call, who can simultaneously monitor the CTAF and the control frequency, never forgets a SARTIME,whose first thought after becoming visual, after flying an instrument approach in a nasty IMC environment would be to advise ATC, who has never deviated off your planned route when OCTA ( do you understand RAM)without advising ATC. If so, we should clone you.

Most ATC appreciate that pilots are human (No, not all before anyone starts.)and hopefully vice versa.

LHRT you state
"I believe your attitude is quite negligent, if pilots descend below LSALT altitudes in IMC outside of MSA's and published approaches you have a duty of care to the pax of the aircraft to report them to CASA."

This is our point, the pilot probably hasn't does this, he/she just hasn't reported that they are visual. This will trigger our alarms leading us to go through the process of chasing this up as a matter of first priority with the pilot. Are they still on our frequency, are they ignoring us because of more pressing matters that require their attention. So in these instances, which I have already said occur many times on a daily basis, all the other things we are doing like vectoring, holding,co-ordination,other radio calls, etc, get placed behind chasing up these pilots.
Think of one or two of these going on simultaneously. When the weather is bad, its usually over a large area.
Surely if this is mandated it will become our number one priority to confirm that the pilot is visual, as you would agree it is time critical.

This is the crux of the matter for ATC, continually chasing false alarms to the detriment of all the other things we do. Lots more staff required.
Dick, you think I am over playing the false alarms. You won't believe it until you sit in on a sector, and see it for yourself.
I hope you do it soon.