PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 04:45
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
The aircraft in the Benalla accident was actually coming from Ulladulla, and clearly the lowest safe altitude for that route was over 7,000 feet.

James Michael, I loved reading the transcript of the 4 Corners show. It is interesting how little changes. The Class G trial was to use radar for the first time between Marulan and Ballina. The radar was actually used to get information on the so-called “near miss”, and the BASI recommendation in effect turned off the radar access and gave the airspace back to Flight Service Officers without radar. Very quietly (almost secretly) a few years later, they gave the airspace back to the radar controllers. I had won!

It is quite clear if you read the transcript that Trevor Jensen from Ansett had threatened Mick Toller. In those days Ansett could do no wrong, and they were protected by the Minister and the Government at the time.

It is still the same with Qantas. Of course, a major accident will change all that. The quote “Crash through or crash” came from a Labor Minister. It has certainly never been my view. My ideology has always been to copy proven safe systems and learn from the accidents that have already happened around the world.

It is interesting that not long after this episode, Rob Lee was removed from his position at BASI, and Mick Toller was not re-instated as CEO of CASA. Under Mick Toller, something like $100 million was spent on the regulatory reform process, with absolutely no results at all. I’m glad I didn’t stay around to be responsible for that huge money wastage with no action.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 30th Sep 2008 at 05:37.