PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 01:53
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Of course the obvious question is, “Why doesn’t CASA do something about this?” Talk about useless space. Remember that CASA now has the responsibility for airspace. Over a year ago, they set up the Office of Airspace Regulation, and even brought in from the United Kingdom a manager to run this.

What has happened since then? Just about zero. I wonder if they even read these posts and realise that an accident like Benalla could happen again tomorrow. Why is it that the organisation is so bereft of leadership that no one is simply game to make a decision.

Let’s look at the ATSB. Did they make a recommendation that Airservices should look at procedures at Benalla to prevent this type of accident being repeated? Of course not. Even though the ATSB recommends pilots read the Flight Safety Foundation document on Controlled Flights Into Terrain – and that document shows the most important safety mitigators are radar and ATC – they made no recommendation that we actually use the radar properly at Benalla and similar airports to save lives.

That is because the investigators at the ATSB are ex-military controllers whose minds are totally fixed in concrete. I’m sure their brains would say, “That is uncontrolled airspace. That means air traffic controllers do not have a responsibility. Five hundred people could kill themselves for all we care. Pilots shouldn’t make mistakes.”

As I’ve said continuously, we will end up with a major accident at Proserpine, killing over 100 people, and then the changes will be made. Let’s hope the people who are responsible are held responsible.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 30th Sep 2008 at 02:52.