PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 01:21
Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst several posts ago I bowed out of this topic as it was my opinion that many on this thread are so blind to a reasonable argument and dogmatic attacking anything Dick has to say that, well quite frankly I could not see any point in engaging in a public lynching, irrespective of that facts.

But now this thread has reach an all time low, Ferris in post: 122 you state it is normal for aircraft to descend below LSALT, in this case refering to Benalla, YOU ARE WRONG, I believe your attitude is quite negligent, if pilots descend below LSALT altitudes in IMC outside of MSA's and published approaches you have a duty of care to the pax of the aircraft to report them to CASA.

TNP travelling from YSBK to YBLA, tracking to BLA from AY:

NOTE:
Route LSALT is not published,
Grid LSALT is 7100,
25nm MSA 3000,
10nm MSA 3500,
The RNAV approach commences at ~11nm BLA.

If TNP was at 6100ft in IMC at ~30nm BLA, alarm bells should be ringing, someone is about to screw the pooch.

Ferris explain to me how on at 1042 ( Here ), the pilot was below all relevant LSALT, i.e 7100 and outside the 25nm MSA, but thats OK ?.

A MSAW system would have alerted the ATCO to this situation, i.e the Aircrafts X,Y and Z position versus the GPWS database would have shown the issue.

I say again, I am not a supporter of the beast that was NAS, but this MSAW system would probably have saved the day in this situation.

Max and company you can prattle on all day about work load and staff, you are right, there is a ASA staff shortage and sectors are too big, it should be remedied, you guys and gals deserve more money and a better work/ home balance, do not let that get in the way of positive change/ progress.

To young pilots, do not listen to posters like Ferris, they clearly do not understand what happens in the aircraft, if you are in IMC, do not descend below LSALT until you enter a MSA ( via DME, TSO GPS or cross radial or station passage on an approach ) or get visual.

Think of the LSALT's and MSA as "protected area's", unless you can travel from one protected area to another without leaving a protective area, don't do it.

If you become dis-orientated on an approach, go around carry out the published missed approach.

For anyone interested, we caught half a bucket of school whiting and a couple Cod (lightly floured on the BBQ).