PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you busy?
Thread: Are you busy?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2008, 14:04
helipaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve been instructing for 3 years now and have to say its easy to get really feed up with the job, I think the problem is that we simply don’t stand up for ourselves enough and our employers know that or act as if there is another instructor just around the corner( normally someone you have trained). I have over 2000 hours now. Last year was really good with about 80 hours a month through the summer but this year I’m about 25% down. The problem is we all spend about 75 K on our own training and are so so grateful to get our first job and that blessed hourly rate. But after a short time with no job security, no pension, holiday , sickness, long hours an no weekends off its easy to get a bit disillusioned. Not sure what the answer is really but I have found that if you keep plugging your own corner then slowly things do improve. Was suggested to me that I come in all the time when weathers bad and diaries empty but replied that my token gesture of a retainer I get paid doesn’t cover that . The big problem is that heli instructors are treated as fixed wing guys but where as there end goal is an airline job at 800 hours we are stuck in the lower ends for longer. Maybe we should get a union