PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence Is Now An Election Issue – Poll Reveals
Old 29th Sep 2008, 11:12
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There are many good reasons for ousting Labour, not least being the growing proof of 'Prudent' Gordon's utter ineptitude as Chancellor. PFIs have been hidden borrowing, and it's clear that Mr Brown has mortgaged our future to (or beyond) the hilt.

But while I would welcome a change, I see no evidence that the Tories would grasp the nettle and do what's necessary, and that is to dramatically increase taxation. Efficiency savings may help reduce Government spending, but if it were that easy...... even the slack-witted Gordon would have done it already.

It's politically impossible to reduce spending on popular areas like education, the NHS and the elderly, so if you want to reduce Government spending, it will be areas like Defence that will take the brunt of any cuts. And because the Tories have the unearned and undeserved reputation of being 'sound on defence' they can and will get away with wielding the axe.

Historically, it is an unpalateable truth that the Tories have imposed bigger cuts on the Armed Forces than Labour have done, so anyone thinking that a Cameron government will be a good thing for Defence is, I suspect, sadly deluded.