PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2008, 08:23
Dog One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some one is not stating all of the facts here. My understanding is that RPT CFIT accidents have been on the decline for some years now. The reason for the decline has been due to education, training and the installation of suitable equipment (EPGWS). I also understand that the Metro at Lockhart River was not EPGWS equipped, there was a lack of multi crew training, and very little CRM in the cockpit. This is a major reflection on CASA and the operator. After nearly 40 years in mult crew cockpits, my experiences indicate that CFIT prevention starts there, with procedures, situational awareness, checks and cross checks. EPGWS is the back up. I do not rely or expect one or two overworked ATC to provide me with terrain clearance. When you are enroute and you hear aircraft across the top half of Australia all working the same controller. Such a service would require a significant increase in staff at the coal face, which will never happen.

My greatest concern these days is going into CTAF's, where after giving all the necessary calls, you wonder at the silence from the many TCAS returns you have on your MFD. You also wonder how many other aircraft are out there with u/s or switched off transponders.

This country has wasted millions of dollars changing airspace to be like other countries, and has reduced the amount of services provided to the industry. In my view, ATC is necessary, there fore they should be a government department. Funded by the taxpayer for the taxpayers benefit and responsible to the taxpayer, such as Customs.