PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2008, 05:16
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Ex FSO GRIFFO, I think you have just given me an idea. Maybe if I get back in a position of influence, I could bring back the FSOs, give them radar, and train them to give a service to help prevent CFITs.

This may be the way to go as it looks as if the ATCs are not going to provide the service. This is sad because ATCs provide a CFIT prevention service in all radar covered airspace in both the USA and Canada.

You state:

We did not know if conflicting IFR traffic were in IMC or VFR conditions - it was not necessary - we simply needed to know who was where in relation to each other....
You are correct. That is because you only provided a traffic information service. However when radar was installed in the 1950s, it would have been great if a proper radar service (that also assisted pilots in not running into the ground) was offered.

I’m sure you will agree that the most common problem we have with professional pilots in Australia at the moment is running into the ground – not running into other aircraft.