PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2008, 23:55
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
No Not stop ADSB, just delay the decision so we have all the facts and it doesn't result in another MLS fiasco with tens of millions of industry money being wasted.

In a few days you will hear of another Airservices stuffup with tens of millions of dollars being written off. All of this money could have been used to train more controllers or pay them a market salary-- now the money has gone from Australia to the USA - just like the Seasprite ONE billion $ loss.

Re Benalla, this is how an ATC told me it would work.

When the aircraft went 500' below the LSA of 7100' about 30 miles east of Benalla the MSAW would have been activated as the Pilot would not have reported visual or cancelled IFR as he was still in IMC. The controller would have called the pilot to check if he had failed to report visual. The pilot would have reported that the aircraft was still in IMC. The controller would then have issued an urgent safety alert with the instruction to climb to 7100'

Six people would most likely be alive today.

Re Flight Service I did change the system so that FSO's were like FSO's in the rest of the world ie providing an ICAO type flight information service. Our FSO's were providing an en -route traffic information service as if they were some type of lower paid and lower skilled ATC.

The safety problem with the system was that we could not use the advantage of radar as the FSO's were not radar rated.

I will look forward to your phone call.