PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - Cabin Crew Manager Tribunal
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2008, 21:49
VS-LHRCSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take your point, Hunterboy but things are VERY different at Waterside. There are certainly no gay Europeans in MY department at the moment. It's a very different atmosphere than on the aircraft. It may be diverse in the nationalities and backgrounds of who is employed but that is not reflective of tolerance of sexual orientation. No one would come from Europe to work for BA at Waterside for the 'freedom' because there is none.

I've also lived off-shore (and I'm Irish, so I grew up with oppression in my home country) and it's pretty much the same as my experience at Waterside. Remember, a lot of people from these anti-gay countries work within the company and bring a lot of ingrained intolerance with them. They can't say it out loud but it is very much implied.

Of course, homophobia is not limited to those of a non British/Irish background. Speaking from experience, working on the ramp is not a place to be 'out and proud' either.

The company might proudly declare it diversity - what company wouldn't - and they may even have a presence at gay pride. The same can also be said for the Police and as we know, homophobia within the force is an acknowledged problem.