PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2008, 11:16
C-change

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The critical point being missed by lots of people on this thread is that there is not enough controllers to manage the current airspace, let alone take on more responsibilty.

Are we jumping the gun calling for a trial and implementation for a procedure (that I like) without the staff and other resources to carry it out properly?

You pilots out there need to be paying more attention and making a lot more noise about the lack of ATCO's and the large areas of Class C airspace that have NO controller watching during TIBA. This is a more critical and pressing issue. 3rd world procedure in an apparent 1st world country.

Fix the staff situation and anything down the track is possible. With enough staff there is no reason why Aust couldn't have a radar FS operating in class G (not withstanding the obvious coverage limitations). CLAM wouldn't be required, as no level asigned in class G, with software setup to Grid and/or track LSALT. When pilot calls on freq descending from CTA and receives traffic statement, add on " ABC, no IFR traffic, report when visual". ABC reports "visual" and clicking on something similar to the "C" prompt turns off Grid/LSALT alarm. If ABC approaches 200' of Grid/LSALT (similar to CLAM) alarm goes off and ABC challenged for in flight conditions or approach intentions.

Anyway its just food for thought and would only work with, 1. more staff, 2. smaller sectors and 3. much better coverage. I'm sure plenty out there will rip into me an I know this is more like a TMA procedure but it could be done if the above problems ever get solved.

One solution to improve radar coverage in the short term would be to include all Military Radar feeds into TAATS.
Why would you only take selected feeds? (Saves money)

Military ATC take all en-route and TMA feeds within 100Nm of each base.

Looking forward to your replies now that I have my flak jacket and helmet on.

Last edited by C-change; 28th Sep 2008 at 11:20. Reason: Protective clothing