PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Life Piloting?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2008, 23:23
wingisland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not massively far in my aviation career, i've done instructing for a year, aerial survey for 6 months and just about to go single pilot IFR charter, but this is the route i wanted.

First of all, regarding your age i'd be thinking twice about getting yourself into the cockpit of an airliner (not counting the massive downturn of pilots at the moment!) as soon as possible, like another poster said it is a job, i knew a guy who was 25, captain of a 737, JAA examiner etc etc done incredibly well but was bored and could see himself changing careers in 10years time! Personaly i've worked my ass off for many years to get a paying job and in a fortunate position to still be young enough to be able to take my time and try several different flying jobs before settling into work!

I knew a few young guys who got themselves jobs in the operations departements of airlines, bizjets, charter firms etc, you baisially file flight plans etc but very much aviation related and looks great on your CV, again shows a real dedication to wanting to be a pilot (and can pay quite well!). Also try looking outside the box, even though i was raised in UK the opportunity arose for me to do my training in New Zealand, i'm not saying everyone gets this opprtunity but there are many other paths out there away from Oxford and Jerez.

One more point is that seeing how your doing your PPL and looking to hour build modular is probably a good option, most integrated students start with maybe 1-2 hours flying. Again I would discourage integrated especially at the moment, its an AWFUL lot of money with no guarantee of a job and a very unstable market.

Best of luck to you, the best bit of advise i had to learn hard way is apart from getting from A-B, NOTHING happens quickly in aviation! I believe most other pilots would agree!