PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carb heat on Warrior (LYCOMING O-320-D3G)?
Old 27th Sep 2008, 20:03
barrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That should have said "rich of peak operation is..."

A typo.

But then lean of peak operation has been taught since long before you began flying. It's seldom taught today...probably something you wouldn't know about or understand.

You're still unable to provide an answer, then. Like I said...no credibility for you.
Well, Lindbergh flew lean of peak all the time, so it was taught before I was born!
I'm well aware of how to operate LOP in fuel injected birds with gami's, and know it's
impractical with carburetors unless you use heat.
Both LYC and TCM say to follow the POH for how to operate their engines, every POH for every carbed engine I've flown says:

Full power with heat MAY cause detonation.

A pilot is landing, the usual ISA SL conditions in his warrior.
mixture full rich, carb heat on, power 1500,
now he goes around, full power, forgets to remove heat!
a dramatic rise in cylinder pressure occurs at the moment of throttle application,
the carbs enrichment feature at full throttle increases the 100ll going into the combustion chamber, that is now getting pumped full of hot air, but the extra gas serves to cool the head, which is a good thing!
The problem arises, when the throttle is advanced to full power from near idle, and the spark timing is static at 25 BTDC, the overly rich mixture causes a more rapid burn, which produces a "peak pressure" before the nominal 14 deg ATDC, which, in turn increases the heat in the cylinder,
which causes the next charge of hot air and gas to increase the operating temps even more, which advances the "effective timing" which causes a massive pressure rise, which leads to detonation, because of carb heat at full power.