PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Night Flights
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2008, 10:31
5 Greens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I flew a Bocian at night at Leszno Poland. The Poles are the only country i know that regually fly gliders at night. They use to insit on a parachute jump from a glider too!

The only recent night flight in a glider in the UK was done in the late 70s by Humty Dumty (Humphry Dimock) at Cranfield. He fitted a single Red light to his glider, just to make a point it could be done.

My father use to tell me stories of the duration record flights at Dunstable on the ridge. A two seater would be launched & lower baskets of food & drink to the glider below. They were all open cockpits then. It was the single seater flights that caused the Ban. Too many pilots falling asleep & killing themselves. I believe the record exceeds 48 hours, longer in two seaters.

In Leszno they use Goosenecks, with a clump of them in a shape of a triangle at the touchdown point to use as an approach guide. The glider was fitted with Nav lights run on a dry cell battery. The instruments were illumanous, & had to have a torch on them every 5 minutes to brighten them up! We were launched by a Wilga & i found the tug nav lights difficult to see when over the towns. I found it to be great fun & was told You Flare 1 meter Too High!