PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2008, 06:52
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rananim;

I would like to avoid thread-drift, but to respond to your comment, yes, I support FDA Programs as preventative safety initiatives when done properly. "Properly" in my books means the pilots' association has control of the data and contacts crews for further information.

In my view of FDA, management has no role in an FDA Program except to respond to what is being seen in the data in terms of trends, events and heightened risks. The pilot association representatives accept the due diligence and without identifying specific crews, can report that individual issues are being handled. That is accomplished through a carefully thought-out agreement between the association and the airline. If there is no such agreement, there is, in my view, no possibility of an effective FDA Program at that airline. Pilots must buy in and take part.

Professionals are professionals; a data program merely reinforces what is either already known so it can continue, or what is constantly strived for so it can change. It isn't magic or a panacea which can substitute for good airmanship and professionalism. Ethics do not reside in software.

Mis-handled, FDA Programs are exactly as you say and if that is the concept and the intent, I would do all I could to kill such a program as swiftly as I and the association could.

Apologies for the drift.