PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2008, 04:44
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick

I'm not hell bent on protecting the ASA position - I'm just exercising your 'open mind' on the alternatives.

A lifetime working for the Government? Not me so you had best review your thinking.

Perhaps post either the FSI report or the link to encourage more open mindedness?

I do remember this re GPWS:

TCAS safety rules were followed internationally by TAWS, the Terrain Awareness and Warning System, which is an enhanced ground proximity warning system that has been compulsory in the US for all turbine aircraft of six or more seats since March 29, 2005.

This is the greatest safety innovation of the past decade, yet there is no similar requirement for its use in Australia. Old ground proximity warning devices only look down and issue an alert to pull up, often when it is too late. TAWS looks forward.

If this requirement for TAWS had been in force in Australia on May 7 last year it is most likely that our worst airliner crash in 30 years at Lockhart River in Far Northern Queensland would not have occurred – yes, 15 people could be alive today.

Bit in red Dick - ATC or radar?