PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2008, 01:09
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick,

Gotta love ya. So now you and LHRT are quoting each other as System experts.
LHRT "Dick told me, so it must be true"
Dick " As my learned friend LHRT says"

"Lefty is correct- the alarm will only go off if everyone is about to die. There will be no false alarms if pilots report when visual-"

Aviate , Navigate, Communicate. As it should be.
Dick, ever missed making a call to ATC because you were too busy doing the important stuff, or the frequency was congested,or you were already on the CTAF,etc. "the alarm will only go off if everyone is about to die". Not true, the alarm WILL go off if the pilot doesn't report visual.

It happens all the time, ATC appreciate this (or most do). The onus is on us to chase these.

Dick you say "There will be no false alarms if pilots report when visual-"
Thats a big IF. Also it will inhibit the MSAW warning, but what about the RAM. What are the repercussions if RAM is also inhibited?

Finally Dick, I am vectoring large RPT aircraft, things are tight, sequencing into Sydney, Wx is marginal, lots of chatter on the frequency. Alarm goes off under your scenario and have been going off all day as pilots are aviating, navigating and THEN communicating. What is my main priority? Ignore all the jets until I have established two-way comms and alerted the lighty, make sure I put in an incident report.

What would be the outcome of this report? As far as I'm concerned the pilot was doing the right thing, aviating and navigating, first and foremost. When the report hits the company, would they be stressing the importance of communicating over aviating and navigating, and making it the first priority.

If everyone was perfect we would not even be having this discussion.