PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2008, 00:58
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off topic sorry

How many crews have experienced reduced training footprints?...reduced simulator hours for recurrent training, (from the typical 4hrs to 3 or 3.5). How many are taught how to do a visual approach with all the automatics off? Who can disconnect the Airbus thrust levers and reconnect them again without the passengers ever knowing you've done so?! How many have permitted their skills to atrophy having swallowed management's harping to engage the autopilot from right after takeoff to touchdown, (Airbus AOM statement)? How many actually do hands-and-feet flying? On raw data?
Use of QAR to sanction pilots might be at the root of this.Are you not a big supporter of QAR's if I remember correctly?Also,over-emphasis of SOP's and CRM.Re-assert the position and responsibility of the commander(I want to check the TOWS myself every flight..its not that I dont trust the First Officer just well..)and get away from this pseudo-CRM we're just one big happy team.It is a team but the skipper leads..over-assertive(read arrrogant) co-pilots who try and set the pace on the flt deck are a real pain-in-the-ass because one day the poor skipper will fly with a new guy and he'll forget to call for this and check that.Remember when I was a co-pilot,I would never prompt the skipper for the checklist until right at the last moment.Let the skipper set the tone,dictate the pace.Another thing CRM has a lot to answer for.Same with SOP..young guys lining up with 200 souls behind them and thinking of TCAS and transponders and terrain displays and NOT THE BIG STUFF.Like checking approach/rwy clear,config,actions in the event of eng failure...their displays stay stuck in MAP for the duration of the flight and theyll follow the FD wherever it takes them..training is screwy,empahsis on the wrong things,SOPs over airmanship,real flying without reliance on automation,systems knowledge(real knowledge not jjust ticking a,b or c)..thats all gone now..off-topic..not aimed at Spanair.