PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hevilift Png
Thread: Hevilift Png
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2008, 00:41
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who was bagging "Tail boom Tony"?? I certainly didn't read it that way. The trainers at HL are good, both VFR and IFR, never heard anyone anywhere say otherwise. As far as I know HL do pay more than the other PNG operators, take-home pay helped by lower tax threshold from 50:50 splitting, and for those on peacekeeping deployments there are lower tax rates still. However recent reports indicate changes for the worse on the tax front. As for stability of employment, HL is much the same as the others. They have people who have been working there for a long time. But long time employee or not they can still march your arse out the door at a moments notice, or no notice at all. As for the senior management, it's their train set and they can do what they want, and people will vote with their feet, or they might not get a vote at all.

The pay rates in PNG aren't helped by the operators trying to cut each others throats with the clients, that's why the PNG pay rates can't compete with Australian rates at the moment. The contract rates being asked of the clients are just not there (there are even aircraft on some contracts earning less than what they cost to crew and maintain!). Also why there are very few Aussies still working in PNG, most of them have gone home to earn more money!! Bloggs does seem to have the inside scoop on what's going on at HL, I'm hearing the same thing from other sources so it must be true! The IFR CP is a known issue at HL, but he is probably very good at some things (and not just coffee drinking)...I've heard it suggested he could gain more respect by swallowing a 2nd loaf of bread at dinner rather than ranting anti-pilot sentiments.

Ultimately the Chairman is right, if you want to see shining examples of shonky, you don't have to look too far in PNG.