PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2008, 00:35
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHRT,

What we (controllers) are trying to tell you is that the alarms go off all the time.

"An automated program that monitors an aircrafts 3 dimensional position reference, say a GPWS data base, absolutley no input required from the controller unless the aircraft breaks the protected area outside say 5nm of the destination aerodrome and the alarm sounds."

After your conversation with Dick, you seem to be an instant expert on the myriad alarms built into the ATC system, their parameters and how often they would go off. How often do you think an alarm set to your parameters would go off?

I have been told by the people working that airspace North of Sydney that 90% off the time the RAM alert will go off, necessitating "unnecessary" calls to the aircraft, who are trying to monitor the CTAF, tracking for final or avoiding other aircraft. Please don't think that your scenario would only require controller intervention when something IS wrong. As I have said before, the alarms don't go off when something IS wrong but when the computer THINKS something may be wrong.

An example I was given, one inbound , one departing outbound from Port MacQuarie. They have been given mutual traffic. Inbound aircraft starts to manouevre for final, RAM alert as aircraft has flown outside Route Corridor. Controller queries , aircraft already monitoring CTAF, multiple calls made to elicit response. Departing aircraft paints on Radar, STCA alert goes off. Traffic already given, alert goes off anyway.

I don't have an agenda, if I am directed to implement a new procedure, I will do it. My concern is that the procedure is able to be safely done and that I have been given the resources and training to do it safely.

As a PIC your responsibilty is to one aircraft, we are responsible for a chunk of airspace with multiple aircraft. Dick has no idea what really goes on, and what radar coverage really exists. After a conversation with him, please don't come on and quote him as some infallible font of wisdom in regards to the vagaries of the TAAATS system.