PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying from and around Bournemouth
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2008, 19:50
DBisDogOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, '28-day rule' is a standard thing most flying clubs operate when hiring their a/c out. You have to have flown (not necess. with them) in the preceding 28 days to allow you to solo hire an a/c. If you haven't, you aren't considered current and will need a check-flight, the length of which isn't fixed, it tends to depend on how experienced you are and how well they know you/your flying skills.

I try to stay current but when I've drifted outside the 28 days, (who hasn't given the crap wx this year?), I've used a check flight for brush-up training such as grass/short-field ops, instrument flight etc.

I think the currency rule (generally 28 days but it varies, I've seen between 14 days and six weeks) is more to do with insurance companies policy as much as anything but am willing to be told otherwise. Personally, I think it's a good thing as it's often lack of recent flight experience that causes alot of problems.

The BFC hire rates: I've never paid a landing fee at Bournemouth (EGHH) ever and do a few circuits every now and then without issue (bar lots of traffic, it can get V.busy), if you hire from them, they have landing cards for most a/c. Check out their website and full price list on Bournemouth Flying Club
Briefly:
A PA28 is £132 petrol/£107 diesel per hour solo rate
a C172 is £141 petrol/£110 diesel per hour solo rate

They do a frequent flyer scheme but I don't know about this, give them a call if you're interested, maybe worth considering if you want to do a block of hours, rates reduce further but do your sums before signing up to any such thing to be sure it's worth it.

Be seeing you...