PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Pensions (Split from Pay 2009 thread)
Old 26th Sep 2008, 19:32
Arthur Scargill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m very disappointed with the union for recommending the new pension proposals. As far as I’m aware the members did not request that the union entered into talks with management regarding pensions.
Since much of the information has been kept from the public eye due to confidentiality agreements only a few individuals have been privy to the full details. It seems these people have had there minds changed (remember one nats one pension??) and their opinions are set to shape future union policy. My concern is that many union members will go along with whatever is recommended by their union (which after all is supposed to have members best interests at heart.)

We have gone from one nats one pension to recommending a two tier pension AND worsening the terms of our current pension.
The argument seems to be “you’d better accept the new deal or nats will go bust and you’ll all lose you jobs and pension”
Yes the pension will cost nats lots of money – but as management are happy to tell everyone we’ve made a profit for the last 5 years so I’m sure we’ve got a few quid lying about. Plus since the UK government owns a large share of us and has a legal responsibility to provide ATC for the UK are they really likely to let us go bust?

Our pensions are legally protected – if we do nothing the trustees will force nats to pay sufficient contributions. I for one would be happy to let them do so.