PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty kids, bad parenting, exhausted cabin crew
Old 26th Sep 2008, 18:32
west lakes
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh for ***'* sake I wish folk would read (and understand) what is being written before posting.

Cabin Crew are more than happy to help parents and children.

READ THESE

I'll do my best to help a parent out,
The point I was trying to make (long-windedly I admit, hehe) is that crew have all the time in the world for the poor parents who DO try....
An 99.99% of cabin crew will be delighted to help that mum taking one kid to the toilet whilst they look after the other.....etc etc
Parapunter, it's worth it for the maybe 20% of parents who actually are pleasant, well-mannered and look after their own children.
Some of my fondest memories of flying are perfectly lovely families and children that I've looked after on board. It's all about how they behave and treat us, as well as having respect for the other pax around them. I suppose the issue is, some parents know how it should be done, why don't all of them. It can't be that hard surely!
I don't have anything against kids themselves, as I said we've had many lovely children on flights, a few weeks ago we had one delightful little bloke who wanted to help us pick up all the rubbish and also hand out the arrival cards (of course we okayed it with mum & dad for him to collect rubbish, lol) He had a great time, future cabin crew in the making!!!!
Meanwhile the mum and dad with 2 kids about 4 rows back had brought a bag of small snacks and fruit, some juice bottles plus colouring books for their kids, who were happily colouring in and not hungry. Obviously it can be done!
Yes we do what we can but we can only do so much. Parents make it so much easier for themselves when they come prepared, assume the airline can do nothing for you, and pack accordingly!!
Following the safety demo on the same flight, one lady asked if it was possible for her little boy to have a closer look at the oxygen mask. I was happy to let him see it and as I continued securing the cabin, I heard her explaining to him exactly where it would be and what to do if Mummy couldn't help him put it on! That is one Mother I now have the upmost respect for!
Cabin crew are more than happy to help out, it is part of their job!

BUT

Children spitting at the cabin crew member!!!
This was the best: a really spoilt brat (girl) try to trip one of the cabin crew members while serving the drinks!!!
from the passenger who started the thread

In the past, I've had reports to me that soiled nappies were put in the seat pockets.
On a LOS once, I had a mother put a loaded diaper in the overhead locker. It came apart and ran all over someone elses jacket. What bugs me is that airline is deemed responisble for things like this, grrr.
One time, little Johnny kept running around in the aisle. I warned mum that Johnny ran the risk of being hurt as carts were in the aisle, tea & coffee pots about, etc etc and could she please keep him in his seat during the meal service.

Sure enough, little Johnny got out of his seat,(for the 9th or 10th time) and not only tried to trip me over (on purpose, because the little bugger laughed!!!) with a coffee pot, but then proceeded to wipe sticky lolly hands on another crew's shirt. When the rubbish cart came out, Johnny jumped out from a row of seats behind the crew member and got knocked over. (Surprise surprise)
"But my 3 yr old, 4 yr old and 5 yr old want to sit together. We are just behind them so we can keep an eye on them....."
Right and what are you going to do in a decompression when they can't reach the oxygen, or if they unfasten their seatbelts just before we touch down etc.?
I mean..........parents are in Club, kids down the back, well the cc will look after them! (....)???
Changing nappies on a seat???? the fact that it is a daily occurance is frightening....

Pax having a stand up fight with you because they cant get an alcoholic drink for their 15 year old????
So her mum was trying to hold her down on her lap and I insisted that she force the seatbelt around her child otherwise she could be seriously injured. But pax just don't seem to get this and all she said was 'she won't sit down, she doesn't want to'. I can't believe people will let their 5 year olds dominate them like this! And her father was sat 3 rows back on his own and just sat there laughing!
One of our hosties once had a baby handed to her by a passenger and was told to change her.
I had a woman the other day, of course with the "little angel"
Little angel had an "accident".
Woman reaching for the call bell: Ding!
Me rushing: Yes madam?
- My daughter had a little accident. We need other seats.
- Sorry madam, the flight is fully booked, therefore we don't have any empty seats.
- OK, so are you going to clean this? (pointing to the damped seat)
No I am not madam, however i shall bring you lots of napkins for you to clean it.
- Me???
- Yes, you madam (smile)
- Do you call yourself an airline? You expect me to clean your plane?
- Not the whole aircraft madam, just the area where your little angel peed on.
Do any of you out there find any of that acceptable behaviour by the PARENTS?
The crew are in most cases not having a go at the children, perhaps the thread title should have been Naughty Kids = bad parenting = exhausted cabin crew, with the emphasis on the bad parenting.

Yes I've endured 2 hours of being kicked in the back whilst mum & dad sit back & drink.

We approached it slightly differently by deliberately not taking our son on an aircraft until he was old enough to understand what was going on and had enough social skills not to annoy other people. I know some parents have no choice but to fly with young children - and from what I have read on here (in other similar threads as well) most of them are "switched on" enough to not let their children cause annoyance. To those parents - well done.

To those parents that think: -
1/ It is not their responsibility to look after their children
2/ That they can act in some of the ways described

I'm speechless.

Young children are little people..y'know... HUMAN BEINGS who have different needs to the rest of us for a couple of years. Can it really be such a strain to provide that small amount of bit extra care on one flight out of ten?
Absolutely correct 10/10 for that paragraph
But whose responsibility is it to look after their own children, entertain them or provide something to stop them getting bored, clean up after them in some cases, hygienically dispose of their waste products to the toilet/rest room, keep them from getting injured or injuring others - the parents or the cabin crew.?