PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty kids, bad parenting, exhausted cabin crew
Old 26th Sep 2008, 15:20
Lauderdale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, which airlines are you all working with? Chav Central it seems. I have flown more, as a passanger though, than some of the cabin crew ranting here and rarely have I seen a situation, where kids are misbehaving badly.
5000+ sectors here my friend, it is not ranting - it is what we see every day. Chav Central? Exactly, that would cover about 80% of all short haul flights...

Also, no disrespect, but to have a FA babysit my kid, well - no thanks.
It takes a bit more than serving drinks and repeating safety instructions to look after a child.
Yes - I am sure some child benefits paid out of my pay packet are alot more use to you.....

About the nappy changing on seats: I too think it is totally innapropriate (would never do it in a restaurant etc...), but, on some aircraft it is simply impossible to change a nappy on 8-9 month old baby in those tiny lavatory tables (later on they can stand). So yes, I have in the past changed my babies on the seat, embarrasing as it was, but still better than travelling for 2 hours with a nasty smell.
Dont fly - take a ferry, rent a caravan

Whilst I agree that parenting standards have really gone down in certain parts of the world, I also see that tolerance to children (again in certain parts of the world, has also gone down. For example, when I take my kids to a southern european country to a restaurant, I feel they are welcome and many adults even approach them and play/joke around with them. On the other hand, where I live now, the opposite is true, when in a restaurant, other adults are either indifferent to or even annoyed at the fact there are kids around. (My kids know how to behave in a restaurant).
That is because they are used to their locally well behaved kids - whereas in back in the UK they all know what to expect....

Look guys - in all seriousness, like it or not - we as crew do a hell of alot more flying than any one of the slf outthere and have a very good view what is going on. There is a huge problem in the UK with one half being the best peeps you would ever meet in the world , and the other half scum. If you fall in 1st category then this post is not aimed at you, if you fall in the 2nd then you are part of that disease that is gripping the UK - anti social behaviour disease.