PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DAMPS Drug and Alcohol Management
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2008, 10:17
flying-spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackbandit

You should be OK as there is no test for angry pills. I will ignore the name calling as it detracts from the debate and some people have serious concerns and they deserve rational answers.
Yes poppy seeds may give a false positive however it would be discovered on the follow up Gas Chromotography test.Granted you may have to wait a day or so to be cleared so I think I would keep clear of poppy seed buns. About the same risk control you would apply by not eating the curry on the street or not drinking tap water on the layover in Mumbai.. Best bet don't eat the bunYes you would be the hero fighting off those mean CASA people as taxi your aircraft out. A bit hard to picture you taxying out with a few hundred punters in the back while you dodge vehicles on the taxiway. But if it works in your mind that's all that counts.

Compressor stall/Socket: I would consult with the medico to see if can give you an alternative that won't give you a positive test. In the case of a tooth ache would you really want the that distraction while you were flying? I have experienced it ( I flew after I had a temporary filling applied and nearly keeled over when the trapped gas in the tooth expanded). If were a back ache (yeah, I know plenty of loadys that are plagued with back and knee problems ) and they use locally applied anti inflammitory gels.
The point I am trying t make is that we have to consult to get the best solution. Too many people of all walks of life take pills (sometimes given by friends or relatives) without knowing how they will effect them. From now on will all have to be more aware of what we are consuming.

It is up to each organisation to set up there damp and the procedure relating to the handling of positive tests, employee education etc.If you want to apply a bit of thought to it you can come up with a solution that suits you and your organisation and achieves the objective of preventing people working in safety critical areas working under the influence of alcohol or debilitating drugs. I have established a DAMP for an organisation it works well and it is universally accepted by the workforce.
I do know a bit about this stuff so I am willing to help if anybody wants to listen.

And Blackbandit, I am an active pilot, I hold an ATPL and "Section 8" is outdated U.S. military jargon for a Psych discharge. I think you may be watching a little too much M*A*S*H* or Rambo or both.

Last edited by flying-spike; 26th Sep 2008 at 10:34. Reason: did a bit of research