PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LaserJet4 Printer driver problem in XP
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2008, 06:20
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
LaserJet4 Printer driver problem in XP

Sheeeesh, trying to get a Laser Jet 4 Plus driver for this XP Pro has been a total failure. I'm now signed up to receive world news with HP, the latest recipe for a Christams cake and how to rid myself of anal bitey things...but no Fing driver. Round and round...then back to home again. Oh, look, I've got 29 drives unpacking. One for the world's old industry standard laser? No. nor any other laser, just an obscure list of devices that I wouls only try to install if I was planning the take-over of an Eastern European country. Let me off this mad world. I've been installing that printer for what...15 years? This one runs like a Rolls Royce. Totally fantastic...but not on the new OS No Sireeee.

Thank's for the PM

The driver is part of the XP installation. Add Printer, go through the screens until it asks you what printer you have, pick "HP" from the left column, then "4 Plus" from the right column.

Strangely, it lists the very popular (- well, to us oldies,) as you say. HP on the left, model Laser Jet 4 Plus on the right. Next step or so it asks me to put the disc in. Nothing. Then the HP site is designed to make one give up computing. A circular ride back to square one. I gave up after 7 thousand goes. I went back to the earlier XP and it still goes fine.

However...has anyone had multiple sheets flying out of their lasers when using Firefox? Thought nothing of it, until my son reported the same issue.

The Add-aware seemed to spend quite a time on the first run, but unlike the good old mark one version, it seemed to be like pulling teeth to tell if it had actually done something positive with the results. As I said, on the first screen, it clearly said nothing had been found. Next tab and there were two items. Even then, there wasn't a clear method of firing a final killing blow to them. Oddly unsatisfying software to drive.